More than 30,000 people have volunteered with Urban Homeworks since 1995. In 2013, 1,000 volunteers contributed 3,331 volunteer days to Urban Homeworks. Our volunteers are one of our greatest assets. The volunteer experience is more than just a day of manual labor on a construction site; it is a time for individuals and groups to gain a deeper understanding of the neighborhoods in Minneapolis and St. Paul and to see the city with new eyes.
Our volunteer groups come from churches, schools, businesses and other formal and informal community organizations. Some groups provide advanced technical skills, such as framing and concrete work, while others work on painting and cleaning crews. To ensure the quality and safety of the experience, we ask our groups to adhere to the following:
- Contact Urban Homeworks at least two months prior to the desired volunteer project date.
- Limit your group size to 8-15 volunteers (although we can possibly accommodate more volunteers if you contact us at least two weeks prior to volunteering).
- Ensure all your volunteers are 16 years or older.
- Provide a 5:1 student to adult ratio if your student volunteers are under the age of 18.
- Have all volunteers agree to and sign the Urban Homeworks Volunteer Waiver Form.
- Bring hand tools if you want, but know that Urban Homeworks takes no responsibility for lost/broken/stolen personal tools. Urban Homeworks will provide all building materials and power tools.
Ready to register your group? Click here.